So the 2012 Olympics are done and there is little to divert our attention from what is bound to be a very dirty political season. If only we could stay as civilized as those many Olympic athletes who held their heads high and were proud to represent their countries. Not so in American politics.
Mr. Romney has now chosen his running mate. Conservatives (exactly what are they trying to conserve?) are in ecstasy. Mr. Ryan was a bold choice, or so they say.
Here is why Ryan has garnered favor among the right. He is tough, he knows economics. He will repair the economy. He will walk on water.
But, here are a few things you might like to know about the Mr. Budget Guru, beside the fear mongering that the Democrats will attack you with:
1. Ryan voted for the Bush Tax cuts
2. He voted for the Bush military campaigns with no future funding plan
3. He voted for unfunded security initiatives
4. He voted for the Medicare prescription benefits
5. He voted for the bank bailouts
6. He voted for the auto industry bailouts
7. He supports oil industry subsidies (his wife's father owns land leased to Exxon)
I could go on, but I'm sure the point is well taken. Words rather than actions. Twelve years in Congress and little to nothing to show for it.
I'm sure Ryan is a smart guy. And a very ambitious guy. If they lose in 2012 he'll surely be back in '16.