Monday, December 8, 2008

Coldplay Viva La Vida

I thought this was a great song a while back, but I never knew who was singing.  I heard it maybe twice, but it stuck in my head.  Not being a rock fan, I didn't think all that much about it until today when I heard the band Coldplay was being sued by Joe Satriani.  Well, at least I found out who the artist is.  Then I found the lyrics.  Pretty great lyrics, too. If you can, give the song a listen. Powerful stuff, and here are the lyrics:http://www.metrolyrics.com/viva-la-vida-lyrics-coldplay.html

They seem to me to be a direct reference to pre-9/11 America, or perhaps even post-WWII to 9/11 America.  We once ruled the world with good intentions.  Everything went our way.  The world looked to us for the right path.  Then the world changed and America changed.  We live in a castle made of sand.  We buried the tyrant old kings, only to become tyrant kings ourselves.  

"People couldn’t believe what I’d become

Revolutionaries wait

For my head on a silver plate

Just a puppet on a lonely string

Oh who would ever want to be king?"

No comments: